This exceptional and very rare, well contrasted photographic print is only known in three examples, ours included. It was given to collector Georges Kasper by the artist in 1946. Mr. Kasper was a famous art critic and director of the Zurich National Museum for 15 years before opening his first art gallery in 1945. He was very close to famous artists of the day such as Francis Picabia, Ferdinand Leger and of course Constantin Brancusi.
Georges Kasper Collection
Musée d’Art Moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou for the negative and positive on glass. Ref number: PH 79, leg Brancusi 1957.
Foundation Beyeler, Basel, Switzerland: Constantin Brâncusi & Richard Serra, May 22 - August 8, 2011. Pulitzer Foundation, St. Louis, Missouri: Brâncusi and Serra in Dialogue, February 5 - July 23, 2005.
Similar image appears in:
Centre Pompidou 2011 p.155. La collection: L’atelier Brancusi, Centre Georges Pompidou edition 1997 p.63.
A variation appears in:
Bajac, Quentin “Brancusi, Film, Photographie”, Centre Pompidou 2011 p.59.